Important Housing Update October 2nd
October 2, 2020
Dear Student Housing Residents,
We hope your classes have started off well and you are settling in to your housing community. While the restrictions imposed under sequestration and COVID prevention are somewhat burdensome, it is critical that you follow them in order to minimize the threat of the virus to our campus community and to avoid having to experience two weeks of quarantine confined to your room. Please keep that in mind as we enter the first weekend of fall quarter - you play a part in protecting your own health and the health of your fellow students.
Below are some reminders of campus directives and important Do’s and Don’ts for healthy hygiene. Please be aware that because of the seriousness of this issue, disciplinary actions, up to and including termination of your housing contract may be implemented for policy violations. You may also be subject to campus wide discipline, including but not limited to probation, suspension, or dismissal.
Most of the following policies for sequestration (in Arroyo Vista and the Residence Halls, through October 6th) are applicable to apartment communities as well:
- Practice the three basics of COVID prevention: wear a face-covering outside of your room, maintain a physical distance of six feet or more, and frequently wash your hands.
- Complete the Daily Symptom Check https://students.uci.edu/daily-symptom-check.html
- No in-person interactions with people outside of your Zot Pod. While around others in your Zot Pod/household, wear a face-covering and maintain physical distance of six feet or more. Low-risk recreational activities should be outside only (see guidelines for Permitted Activities).
- Do not leave your residence except to participate in essential activities(e.g., to pick up meals or purchase food, participate in low-risk outdoor recreational activities, or obtain healthcare services). Please review this chart of permitted activities during sequestration before you pursue activities outside your Sequestration space.
- No In-person gatherings. Residents are not permitted to host gatherings of any kind during sequestration. Activities sponsored by your housing community will either be online or carefully designed to conform to campus requirements listed in the Chancellor's Executive Directive, issued on July 21, 2020
Failure to comply with these requirements will result in disciplinary action. Some restrictions will continue beyond the sequestration period. Learn more about Student Housing COVID-related Policies and other Student Housing policies is available on the Student Housing Website.
Think outside the box to find ways to have fun while meeting the challenges we are all facing during the COVID-19 pandemic. Find ways to stay connected and share the experience while respecting the health and well-being of those around us. And if you need resources or support, your RA is available to assist you.
We understand you are eager to get out of your Zot Pod and meet other Anteaters. We know you may feel cooped up and bored. You’re almost at the end of sequestration! We’re excited that soon you’ll be able to get out and explore our beautiful campus on October 6 when the sequestering period is over. In the meantime, thank you for maintaining these standards to help the campus avoid an outbreak.
Have a great and safe weekend, Anteaters!
Tim Trevan, Executive Director
University of California, Irvine