Important Housing Updates for November 13th
November 13, 2020
Dear Housing Residents,
As we begin the holiday season, when celebrations often center around family, please remain mindful of the increasing risk of Covid-19 exposure, especially at indoor gatherings. This risk is real, and can have a major impact on students, families, and the campus community as we approach the final weeks of fall quarter. Reconsidering some of our cherished traditions, just for this year, will increase the likelihood that 2021 will be a happier and healthier year for everyone! As you finalize your plans for Thanksgiving weekend, please consider….
- Two best options: STAY (on campus) or GO (and return after winter break).
- If you plan to go home to see family and can finish out the quarter from there, consider staying home from Thanksgiving straight through winter break.
- If you need to be on campus to finish out the quarter, we strongly recommend staying on campus through the Thanksgiving weekend. (Dining options will be available for students living in the residence halls.)
- If you are thinking about going home and returning to campus after Thanksgiving, consider this: If 1,000+ students leave for Thanksgiving and return for the last 3 weeks of fall quarter, the likelihood of a Covid-19 spike on campus leading up to finals is significantly increased. This is a risk we can and should avoid!
- One more thing to consider: Students who test positive for Covid-19 (and their close contacts) during the last 3 weeks of the quarter will need to isolate/quarantine on campus for up to 14 days, even if it cuts into the start of winter break on December 19, per instructions from Student Health and Public Health authorities.
- If you do go home, don’t bring Covid with you!
- Get your required asymptomatic test within 7 days of travel and receive results prior to travel; If you test negative, you should still take precautions while at home! If positive, you will be required to isolate and recover on campus per guidance from Student Health and Public Health authorities.
- Please note that there will be NO testing on Wednesday 11/25 through Sunday 11/29.
- Don’t bring Covid back to campus either! Please note the following requirements for students who choose to leave campus for Thanksgiving and return for the end of the quarter:
- Continue to practice prevention measures while at home—wear a face covering, maintain physical distance of at least 6-feet, and wash your hands frequently.
- If you become ill while away for Thanksgiving, or are exposed to someone with COVID-19, do not travel back to campus. Contact the Student Health Center for guidance on next steps for testing and treatment.
- Schedule your next required Covid test within 48 hours of return to campus and again at least 7 days after return to campus during regularly scheduled weekly testing. Testing resumes on Monday 11/30 and continues through Saturday 12/19.
- Sequester for 14 days from date of return to campus. That means restricting your movements outside of your room to essential activities only—picking up meals/groceries, going to medical appointments (including asymptomatic testing), and low risk outdoor activities (always physically-distanced!)
- Please complete the form even if you responded to the earlier Thanksgiving Plans Survey.
- This information will help ensure sufficient staffing and services remain available during the break, and let us know if the testing schedule needs to be modified to accommodate students returning to campus.
Planning for Winter Break
After Thanksgiving weekend, there will be just three weeks left in fall quarter. As you make you plans for winter break, please apply the same health-protective measures prescribed for Thanksgiving, i.e.,
- Remain vigilant and test before you leave!
- Protect yourself and others during this critical time in the quarter and remain disciplined in your COVID-prevention practices! Avoid the disruption of having to go into isolation or quarantine when you are preparing for finals and winter break!
- Get your asymptomatic test within 7 days of your departure for winter break and receive results prior to travel; If you test negative, you should still take precautions while at home! If positive, you will be required to isolate and recover on campus per guidance from Student Health and Public Health authorities.
- Stay healthy while away; Test and sequester upon return.
- Continue to practice prevention measures while at home;
- If you become ill over winter break, or are exposed to someone with COVID-19, do not travel back to campus. Contact the Student Health Center for guidance on next steps for testing and treatment.
- Schedule your next Covid test within 48 hours of return to campus and again at least 7 days after return to campus during regularly scheduled weekly testing; There will be limited testing available on Dec 28-29, NO testing Dec 30 - Jan 1, and all sites will re-open on Saturday and Sunday, Jan 2-3.
- Sequester for 14 days from date of return to campus.
While this pre-holiday messaging is not exactly cheerful, it comes from our commitment to do all we can to protect your health and safety and support your academic success. Thank you for caring about others during this group effort to move UCI Forward.
Tim Trevan, Executive Director