Important Undergraduate Housing Updates for January 15th
January 15, 2021
Dear Housing Residents,
For those of you already on-campus in your 14-day Sequestration, THANK YOU for supporting the health of our communities. For those planning to return to campus this weekend, please remember that you must sequester for 7 days following your date of return. The first wave of returning students did result in a jump in the on-campus COVID-19 cases, and there are currently 59 students in on-campus isolation (COVID-19 positive) and 130 in quarantine. Reduce your chances of quarantine or isolation by remaining vigilant about prevention measures! Here are a few important reminders for this week:
- Self-Care and Finding Support: This topic was addressed last week, but it bears repeating…It is important that we all practice self-care and reach out for support to manage the stresses of this unusual time. In addition to the UCI Counseling Center resources mentioned last week, please note that the Center for Student Wellness and Health Promotion also offers strategies for wellbeing during the pandemic including a weekly Therapy Pet Zoom meeting where you can drop in for casual conversation and to see some cute pups! Whether it’s gazing at animals online or FaceTiming with friends, stay connected!
- Sequestration Reminders: During sequestration, students are allowed to pick up meals, receive their weekly COVID-19 test and enjoy the outdoors in a physically distanced way, but guests, indoor gatherings and traveling off campus are not allowed. Exceptions may be made for essential activities such as health appointments and work. For a graphic guide to permitted activities, click here.
- Regional Stay at home order: The Southern California Regional stay at home order is still in effect until further notice. Please do not gather or travel this holiday weekend.
- COVID-19 Testing: Students should obtain a COVID-19 test within 48 hours of returning to campus. If you experience challenges meeting that time window, do your best to get tested as soon as possible, then continue with your weekly asymptomatic COVID-19 Testing. If you have not yet done so, schedule your winter quarter appointments by going to the Student Health Patient Portal at https://osh.chs.uci.edu. Instructions for scheduling a recurring appointment can be found here.
- COVID-19 Vaccine impacts: Students who have received their COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., because they work in a medical setting or are part of another prioritized group) are still required to follow all campus guidelines for prevention and testing. (The vaccine will not produce a false positive test result.) Students who have recovered from COVID-19 must also continue to follow all prevention guidelines and should return to weekly testing after the exemption window prescribed by their health provider (usually 3 months).
To stay on top of campus COVID-19 information and updates, visit the UCI Forward Coronavirus Information Hub at https://uci.edu/coronavirus/.
If you have questions regarding these updates or other COVID-19-related issues in Housing, please email them to HousingCovidQuestion@uci.edu.
Tim Trevan, Executive Director