COVID-19 Vaccine Policy Compliance for Students Entering Winter 2022
November 30, 2021
Dear UCI Students,
Welcome to UCI! I am writing to let you know that as part of your enrollment at UCI, you are required to comply with the UC COVID-19 Program You can meet compliance by providing proof of COVID-19 vaccination or submitting a request for exception on medical, disability or religious grounds, or a deferral based on pregnancy. Students who are not in compliance by the campus deadline of January 3, 2022 will experience the following:
- have a hold placed on their records with the risk of losing classes
- lose access to UCI’s wifi system: UCI Mobile Access
- be referred to the Office of Academic Integrity and Student Conduct for disciplinary action including, but not limited to, probation, suspension, or dismissal
Please submit your vaccine documentation at the UCI Student Health portal using the button below or visit osh.chs.uci.edu. You can submit your proof of vaccination or your request for an exception now. If you are requesting an exception, you should submit your request as soon as possible. If you wait until the deadline to submit a request, you may not receive a quick response.
Exception and deferral forms and instructions for submitting them to the Student Health portal are located at the Student Health Center website:
- If you have previously submitted an exception or deferral request but have not received final notification of approval or denial, then your request is “pending.” You may not receive final notification until after the deadline date at which time you will be expected to comply with the policy immediately, which means:
- become fully vaccinated if your request is denied, or
- comply with mandatory non-pharmaceutical interventions (weekly COVID-19 testing and mask wearing) while your request is pending and if your request is approved.
As a reminder, students who fail to upload a vaccination verification or an exception or deferral request are subject to:
- Loss of access to UCI’s Wi-Fi system, UCI Mobile Access.
- Registration hold that restricts the ability to register for classes.
- Noncompliance notifications that will result in a referral to the Office of Academic Integrity and Student Conduct for disciplinary action, including, but not limited to, probation, suspension or dismissal.
If you have any questions about how to submit the required documentation of vaccination or your exception or deferral request, need assistance with uploading your documentation, or need assistance in locating a vaccine site near you, please contact Contact Tracing and Vaccination Navigation Services by phone at 949-824-2300 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Students
CTVNS can also assist international students with issues related to vaccine documentation and answer questions as to whether vaccines received internationally meet the UC COVID-19 Vaccine policy requirements. Students who received a vaccine in their home country that does not meet the UC COVID-19 Vaccine policy requirement, must receive a COVID-19 vaccine immediately upon arrival into the US and complete the series to meet compliance. Students who have questions about the timing or safety of receiving another COVID-19 vaccine so soon after receiving their home country vaccine should ask CTVNS for clarity, and may be asked to submit a Request for Medical Exemption.
We encourage students to receive their COVID-19 vaccine from a local vaccination site or pharmacy or you can schedule an appointment at the UCI Student Health Center upon your arrival to the campus prior to the start of the academic year. Please call the Student Health Center appointment line at (949) 824-5304 to schedule your appointment. COVID-19 vaccination appointments are only available by phone and not available through the patient portal at this time.
You may find more information about the policy and its implementation at UCI in the July 16 memo from Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Hal Stern and the UCI Forward website.
Thank you, again, for your attention to this important matter. We look forward to welcoming you to the campus this Winter!
Willie L. Banks Jr., Ph.D.
Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs
University of California, Irvine