Important Housing Updates for Winter Break
December 8, 2021
Greetings Housing Residents!
As you wrap up finals and prepare for a well-earned rest, please take a minute to read some important reminders for winter break.
For those of you who are traveling home (or elsewhere), please continue to practice COVID-19 prevention measures, and be sure to follow Centers For Disease Control and Prevention guidance for domestic travel and international travel. Please also consider getting your vaccine booster if you haven’t already. Please note, for those traveling by air internationally, the CDC requires you to test one day before your return flight to the United States. If you are unvaccinated, you will also be required to quarantine for seven days after returning.
When returning to campus for winter quarter, unvaccinated students will need to test within 48 hours of return, test again at day 5, and sequester for 7 days (assuming both tests negative). Fully-vaccinated students will not need to test or sequester and post-travel testing will be available for any students who want it. The Student Center Testing Center re-opens on Sunday, January 2nd, from 1 - 5 pm.
With the arrival of the omicron variant, return to campus protocols may change as we learn more, and we will alert you to any changes. Please be sure to read all emails from Housing during the winter break as they may contain important changes to return to campus protocols.
Important information for students remaining on-campus during winter break
If you plan to remain on-campus, please read the information below regarding COVID-19 testing and access to healthcare resources during the break.
- Asymptomatic testing centers maintain their fall quarter hours through Friday, Dec 10th, after which testing will be available at the Student Center (Crescent Bay) on December 13-17 (8:00 am-4:30 pm), and on December 20-21 (8:00 am-4:30 pm).
- Students who report symptoms in the Daily Symptom Checker will continue to be contacted by Student Health to schedule a COVID-19 test through December 22, 2021.
- Between the dates of December 23, 2021 - January 3, 2022, students experiencing symptoms should call the After-Hours Nurse Advice Phone Line at 949-824-3870 for guidance on testing and treatment.
- There are several urgent care centers in the local area covered under the UC-SHIP insurance plan and most other insurance plans where you can obtain a COVID-19 test or receive medical treatment. In addition, Gottschalk Medical Plaza on campus offers walk-in services. Check their website for hours of operation.
- Students who do not have UC-SHIP insurance should follow up with their covered Healthcare Provider/Clinic, but please remember to inform UCI Contact Tracing of COVID positive results.
Students testing positive for COVID-19 during the campus closure should take the following steps:
- Upload your positive test result to the Student Health Portal.
- Call Contact Tracing and Vaccine Navigation Services (CTVNS) at 949-824-2300 to report your test result and provide information about recent close contacts.
- Call Student Housing at 949-824-0185 for isolation instructions to prevent spreading COVID-19 to others. Meal service will be provided during the isolation period.
Contact your housing community if you have questions about housing-related services available during the break.
Whether you are staying or going, Student Housing wishes you a restful and enjoyable winter break!