Winter 2022 Update: Student services during remote instruction until Jan. 28
January 7, 2022
Dear UCI Students,
I want to thank you for all of your patience and flexibility as we continue to navigate the start of this quarter. As a follow-up to the Chancellor’s email yesterday I am writing to share information on our student services operational plans going forward along with some reminders. With the extension of the remote instruction until Friday, Jan. 28, our goal is to continue to provide services to students with changes and modifications to those services based on public health guidance and operational needs.
Starting next week, the campus will begin our asymptomatic surveillance testing program. This program will help us to get a sense of the prevalence of COVID-19 on campus. We understand that during this remote instruction period, you may not be coming to the campus. If you are on campus, we ask that you participate in the program. You will be receiving email invitations from the Student Health Center to make your appointment during your assigned week. For more information, visit UCI Forward - Testing.
Campus Services and Operations
The following campus services will be impacted Jan. 7 through Jan. 28:
- Anteater Express: All campus-based shuttle routes will run as normally scheduled. Any changes to routing that need to be made will be posted at shuttle.uci.edu.
- Anteater Recreation Center: The ARC will continue to be open for drop-in activities. Hours of operation are subject to change. Please visit; campusrec.uci.edu for updated information.
- Office of Campus Social Work: Campus social workers will be offering services remotely and by appointment only. Referral by faculty or staff member is required.
Office of Campus Social Work | Wellness, Health & Counseling Services
- CARE: UCI CARE will be operating remotely and will continue to offer its services virtually through January 28th. In person support may be available on a case by case basis. For more information, the latest updates on CARE’s operations or to set up an appointment, please contact the CARE office at 949-824-7273, by email at email@example.com (Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-5p.m.) or by visiting care.uci.edu.
- Counseling Center: The UCI Counseling Center will be operating remotely and will continue to offer teletherapy services through Jan. 28. Crisis Care services remain available 24/7. For the most up to date information on our operations please visit our website at counseling.uci.edu. If you have any questions, please feel free to call our offices at 949-824-6457.
- Disability Services Center (DSC): DSC will be operating remotely through January 28th. Services and meetings will be offered virtually with exceptions addressed as needed. Onsite services will occur as necessary to ensure business continuity. Virtual office hours will continue to be 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The DSC website is a great source for keeping up to date (dsc.uci.edu) and staff will also be taking calls at 949-824-7494. Onsite testing and Ring Road Rides will resume when UCI returns to in-person instruction.
- The Hill: The campus store continues to be open. Please visit uci.bncollege.com for operating hours.
- Residential Dining: The Anteatery and Brandywine will continue to be open for grab and go options only. No dine-in seating will be available.
- Retail Dining: Please visit food.uci.edu for retail operating hours. Retail dining will be open for grab and go only.
- Student Activities/Clubs & Organizations: Student events and activities will be virtual. Reservations made through the Student Center and Event Services will be canceled during this period of time (this includes Student Center, classroom and outdoor spaces). Recurring reservations for meetings and events held after Jan. 28 will not be canceled.
- Student Center:The Student Center will continue to be open with adjustments to operations in the conference center (see Student Activities/Clubs & Organizations section above).
For more information on campus services and resources not listed here, please visit each department or center’s website and stay tuned for additional updates on the Winter 2022 opening plans. Plans are subject to change depending on the public health status of the campus community and county.
As a reminder, get your COVID-19 vaccination booster and upload the documentation by Jan. 31 if you are eligible. If you have received your COVID-19 booster already, upload your record to the UCI Student Health Center Patient Portal. You are eligible for a booster if it is at least five months past your second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two months past your Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Also remember, if you are on campus or planning to visit the campus you must do the following:
- Wear a face covering - Executive Directive
- Wash your hands well and often. Carry hand sanitizer and surface wipes
- Monitor your symptoms by participating in the Living Well Daily Symptom screening - Executive Directive
- If you have symptoms and answer “yes” to one of the screening questions, follow directions as provided in the response to the Living Well Daily Symptom screening. Instructions for contacting the UCI Student Health Center can be found on SHC’s “Emergency Services/After-Hours Care” webpage.
- Don’t forget to contact your primary care provider if it is other than SHC.
- Participate in asymptomatic testing if you are selected.
- Participate in regular testing for our community members with vaccination exemptions.
- Get your booster and upload it to the UCI Student Health Center patient portal.
We take compliance with these university directives seriously. Students who fail to adhere to campus policies are subject to university proceedings that may result in loss of privileges such as a restriction from the campus wifi, denial of campus services, and disciplinary action including, but not limited to suspension or dismissal. Students are also subject to disciplinary action for off-campus behaviors (see 101.00a) that affect the health and safety of community members. For more information, please refer to the COVID-19 policy compliance website.
Willie L. Banks Jr., Ph.D.
Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs