Updated COVID-19 Protocols
Aug. 19, 2022
- Executive directive on mandatory face coverings is being rescinded, effective Saturday, August 20.
- Face coverings remain recommended in indoor settings.
- Face coverings are required in healthcare settings.
- COVID-19 testing remains available on campus.
- If you have symptoms, please stay home.
Dear UCI Community,
As COVID-19 cases continue on a downward trend from earlier this summer, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has moved Orange County from the high COVID-19 community level to the medium COVID-19 community level. As such, we are pleased to share that effective Saturday, August 20, 2022, the campus will be rescinding the executive directive on mandatory face coverings.
Face coverings will continue to be recommended indoors, but not required, regardless of vaccination status consistent with current California Department of Public Health (CDPH) guidance on the use of face masks in California. Therefore, individuals should feel free to continue to wear face coverings if they desire.
In what situations will I still need to wear a face covering indoors?
Per CDPH guidance, face coverings are still required in healthcare settings on campus including the Student Health Center, the Counseling Center, the Student Center COVID-19 Testing Site, as well as at UCI Health. Face coverings may also be required consistent with public health guidance for a limited duration for those who were COVID-19 positive and returning from isolation, and for those recently exposed to someone with COVID-19. Face coverings continue to be available on campus for students and employees.
While the indoor face covering requirement is being lifted, the campus will maintain a number of our prevention and surveillance efforts to help control the spread of COVID-19.
- Testing: Testing for COVID-19 one to two days prior to attending a gathering or event or before travel and three to five days after attending a gathering or event or travel is a key strategy to reduce the spread of COVID-19. If you test positive before or after a gathering, event or travel, stay home and follow campus instructions for isolation and case reporting.
Free testing continues to be available at the Student Center test site (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.). Rapid antigen at-home test kits are also available for pick up at the test site. For students in campus housing, these kits are available from your housing community office. Every household in the U.S. is also eligible to order eight additional free COVID-19 tests through the United States Postal Service.
- Contact Tracing, Daily Symptom Check, and Vaccination: If you receive a call or email from Contact Tracing and Vaccine Navigation Services, please take the call, call back if a message is left, or review the email. If you have symptoms, stay home, get tested and reply to the daily symptom check. If you have not been vaccinated or boosted, consider doing so now. Contact Tracing and Vaccine Navigation Services continues to offer robust support, including to those needing assistance with scheduling vaccinations and boosters or uploading proof of booster doses. They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 949-824-2300.
For the latest COVID-19 information, please continue to visit the UCI Forward website. Thank you for your ongoing compliance with COVID-19 protocols to help with campus health and wellbeing.
David M. Souleles, MPH ‘87
Director, Campus Public Health Response Team