Current Campus Policies & Guidelines
UCI is committed to the health and well-being of our Anteater community. We ask the campus community to follow these campus safety requirements to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19.
Daily Symptom Check-In
All UCI students, staff and faculty are required to complete and submit a daily self-screening for COVID-19. The check-in is available via email and mobile app.
A number of Executive Directives have been enacted that allow the university to authorize certain community practices.
All students are required to take the Anteater Pledge and Healthy Practices Training. These are both one-time only requirements.
All staff and faculty are required to complete the “Returning to Campus” training module available through the UC Learning Center. This training is required by Cal/OSHA and the California Department of Public Health. Even if you will continue to work remotely, but may need to come to campus occasionally, you must complete this training. Additionally, completing the training is only one step of the process to being approved to return to on-site work. This is a one-time only training.
Measures to control the spread
Help reduce the spread of COVID-19 by getting the vaccine when it is available to you and the following preventative measures.
- Reducing the spread of viruses starts with basic hygiene, view Preventative Measures.
- We are temporarily enhancing custodial services in certain areas and will adjust as part of the campus multi-layered approach to prevention.
- Supplies including hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray, paper towels, disposable gloves, and washable face masks will be provided centrally to returning groups.
- No physical distancing or barriers between workers are required, regardless of employees’ vaccination status, unless there is an outbreak (see below).
- Unvaccinated employees eating or drinking indoors must be at least 6 feet apart from others.
- If unvaccinated individuals cannot wear a face covering, they must continue to stay physically distanced of at least 6 feet from other individuals or be tested once a week for COVID-19 during paid time and at no cost to the employee.
- Fully vaccinated employees may work indoors without face coverings, even if unvaccinated co-workers are present.
- Unvaccinated employees must continue to wear masks indoors, unless alone in a room or a vehicle. Upon request, UCI will provide voluntary-use respirators to unvaccinated or vaccinated employees.
- No face coverings are required for anyone outdoors, unless there is an outbreak of COVID-19 cases (see below).
Outbreaks and Quarantines
- If an outbreak of three or more cases occurs in an exposed employee group, UCI must evaluate whether physical distancing or barriers are necessary to control transmission of the virus. If an outbreak of at least 20 cases happens, masks must be worn by all workers indoors and outdoors where 6-foot distancing cannot be maintained.
- Fully vaccinated workers with no COVID-19 symptoms do not need to be tested or quarantined if they are exposed to the virus.
Returning to Campus: Units
All units returning to workplace must complete the UCI COVID-19 Prevention Checklist.
Returning to Campus: Operations
The campus has implemented a number of protocols in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Information about the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems in our buildings and how we are adjusting them in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A key aspect for maintaining a healthy Anteater community is the need to test all students, staff and faculty currently on campus, on an on-going basis. This is a necessary precaution to help control the spread of the coronavirus and maintain the health of the campus community.
For information on the COVID-19 vaccines, visit the CDC’s COVID-19 vaccines FAQ page and the state of California’s vaccine information page. Additional details can be found on here and UCI Health’s vaccine FAQ.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Center
Staff and faculty may report a case using the COVID-19 Case Reporting website.
Students & Student Workers may report a case using this link or by calling the Student Health Center at 949-824-5304.
Reporting a COVID-19 Safety Concern
Injuries, safety concerns and/or COVID-19 concerns or near-misses occurring on campus or while participating in University business should be reported within 24 hours.
Non-Compliance Guidelines and Response Procedures
COVID-19 related campus procedures and executive directives are intended to keep the UCI community healthy by limiting the spread of COVID-19. Members of the UCI community are expected to behave in ways that respect the health of others.
While it is expected that each individual will assume personal responsibility to help protect the UCI community, it is also understood that mistakes and lapses in compliance or intentional non-compliance may occur. Generally, issues with compliance should be addressed with care and understanding. The overarching goal when addressing non-compliance is to de-escalate rather than intensify a situation.