Resources for Students and Families
This guide provides students with the key information, including remote learning resources and student services, that they need to know for navigating the 2020-21 academic year.
Anteater Pledge and Healthy Practices
The Anteater Pledge is a commitment to our community to do everything we can to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 on our campus. As part of this commitment, we also are rolling out the Anteater Pledge Ambassador program. Ambassadors are students, staff and faculty and will be responsible for educating and engaging their peers on how to reduce the spread of the virus responsible for COVID-19.
Testing, Screening and Reporting
Daily Symptom Check-In
UCI students are required to complete and submit a daily self-screening for COVID-19. The check-in is available via email and mobile app.
Asymptomatic testing is only for students who do not have symptoms. If you have COVID-19 symptoms, please contact Student Health.
COVID-19 testing is currently completed via a supervised self-administered nasal swab test, is cost-free to eligible groups on campus, and results are available within 24 - 72 hours.
Per the Executive Directive on Student Testing, regular, on-going asymptomatic testing is required of all students on campus. A conduct process will apply for students who do not participate in COVID-19 testing.
For information on COVID-19 vaccines, visit the CDC’s COVID-19 vaccines FAQ page and the state of California’s vaccine information page. Student information such as how to get vaccinated, how to upload records, view UCI's COVID-19 vaccination information.
The University of California announced a proposed policy for review that would require all UC faculty, staff, academic appointees and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited medical and religious exemptions. The requirement would go into effect by the beginning of the fall term, provided at least one of the vaccines has full approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is readily available. The details of this proposed policy can be found in the UC Office of the President’s announcement.
To support the health and well-being of UC students, faculty and staff and our communities, the University of California, in consultation with UC Health leadership, has issued a systemwide Executive Order requiring all members of the UC community to receive an influenza immunization before Nov. 1, 2020. Information about the mandatory flu vaccine requirement can be found on the Student Health Center website.
Face Coverings and Physical Distancing
Reducing the spread of viruses starts with basic hygiene.
- Wear a face covering – Executive Directive
- Wash your hands well and often. Carry hand sanitizer and surface wipes.
- Keep six feet (two meters) of distance between yourself and others whenever possible – Executive Directive
We take compliance with these university directives seriously. Students who fail to adhere to campus policies are subject to university proceedings that may result in disciplinary action including but not limited to suspension or dismissal. Students are also subject to disciplinary action for off-campus behaviors (see 101.00a) that affect the health and safety of community members. For more information, you can refer to the COVID-19 policy compliance.
Health and Mental Health Resources
Housing, Dining, Facilities
The Anteatery and Brandywine will open for indoor dining with capacity limits set at 100. Following physical distancing guidelines, single seating will be available. Students with green ZotPasses* will be welcomed to dine-in at both dining halls. Tables will be sanitized after every use. Face coverings are to be worn at all times when not seated and actively eating or drinking. Take-out options will still be available.
Retail Dining: Panda Express, Starbucks at Biological Sciences and Med Ed Café will be open and available for take-out only.For the latest UCI Dining updates
The UCI Student Center’s East Food Court and Terrace Lounge are open beginning March 29 for students to study on campus. Visit Book Smart online to learn more.
The UPS Store is open and offering a variety of services. Please see the Student Center website for details
The ARC will be open for reserved workouts on a daily basis. Following physical distancing and face covering guidelines, users will be able to utilize a new indoor fitness pod in the Main Gym, an outdoor fitness pod on the pool deck, outdoor F45 and yoga classes and lap swimming. Spring hours and additional information are available here.
Stay connected with The Hill: The Hill at UCI
On campus residents will need to submit a Parking Permit Application.
Student commuter permits are available on a first-come, first-serve basis in the myCommute portal.
Limited study spaces will be available by appointment in the Multimedia Resources Center and the Libraries Gateway Study Center. Students will be able to reserve specific study seats, including some private rooms and computer workstations, for 3 hour blocks of time in the morning and afternoon. Printing will also be available. The buildings will close at midday to allow extra cleaning.
Three new services will be offered:
- curbside drop box for returning library books – accessible from East Peltason Drive near the Student Health Center;
- a one-button studio in the Multimedia Resources Center that provides a simplified process for recording video presentations and podcasts;
- and laptops, iPads, and other equipment will be available to borrow from the Multimedia Resources Center.
Remote Access to Library Services and Collections
- We have compiled a webpage that provides links to all our services and collections that can be accessed remotely. This includes 24/7 chat research help. Please check this webpage regularly as we will post the most up-to-date information there.
- Our expert subject librarians are available to assist remotely with virtual research workshops and discipline-related research questions.
- If you have questions about your library account, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Study tents on campus
UCI has installed study tents on campus in an effort to provide students the opportunity to study outside in a shaded area. There are two tents, located at Langson Library Plaza and Humanities Hall Plaza. They are available for use from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., have nearby restrooms, and wifi. Students are reminded to wear face coverings and maintain physical distance from their neighbor while in the study tent.
Most classes will be offered remotely, either as the only option or a complement to in-person instruction. We are doing everything possible to prepare classrooms for in-person instruction, but it’s too early to determine which courses will be ready for traditional on-site learning. Deans and department chairs are working with our Office of Teaching and Learning to identify which classes can be prioritized for in-person instruction.
Spring quarter will follow the same general plans as fall/winter quarter. Most undergraduate courses will be taught remotely. Any in-person courses will require approval consistent with the latest public health guidance.
Remote Learning Resources
Division of Undergraduate Education
For specific updates and information about DUE units, resources, and services, please click on the appropriate DUE unit listed below:
- Antrepreneur Center
- Student Success Initiatives
- Capital Internship Program
- Scholarship Opportunities Program
- Blum Center for Poverty Alleviation
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program
- Campuswide Honors Collegium
- Civic and Community Engagement Program
- Academic Testing Center
- Freshman Seminar
- Transfer Student Hub
- Center for Excellence in Writing & Communication
- Study Abroad Center
- International Student Excellence Program
- Undergraduate/Undeclared Advising
- Learning Academic Resources Center
- New Student Handbook
- The Hill (UCI Bookstore)
- CARE – Campus Assault Resources & Education
- Dream Center (including immigration legal services)
- Disability Services Center
- Enrollment Management
- International Center
- Office of Academic Integrity & Student Conduct
- Student Life and Leadership
- Student Government & Student Media
- Veteran Services Center
- Please visit Services & Resources for Students for additional information