Heat Advisory Extended
Sept. 6, 2022
Dear Campus Community,
The High Heat Advisory for Orange County has been extended through Friday, Sept. 9, as temperatures are forecast to continue reaching the mid- to high 90s in Irvine. Here is updated information on cooling centers:
Cooling centers on campus will be open today through Friday, unless otherwise noted:
- Student Center - 7 a.m. to midnight
- Gateway Study Center - 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Wednesday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday
- Anteater Recreation Center - 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Continuing Education (Lower Lobby #1000 and Main Lobby #2000) - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (to 9:30 p.m. Thursday only)
- Camino del Sol Community Center (“The Lodge”) - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Arroyo Vista Community Center - open today only to 5 p.m.
- Campus Village Community Center - 8 a.m. to midnight
- Plaza Verde Community Center - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Vista del Campo Community Center - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Vista del Campo Norte Community Center (“The Clubhouse”) - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Verano Place Community Center - 10 a.m. to midnight
Cooling centers hosted by the City of Irvine have also been extended through Friday. Please visit the city’s cooling center website for locations and hours. Transportation is not included.
The Student Health Center is prepared to screen and provide clinical support for students who show signs of heat exhaustion/heat stroke. Students experiencing heat symptoms may:
- Contact the Student Health Center or a primary care provider (non-SHIP) for evaluation: 949-824-5301
- Call the 24-hour Nurse Advice Line to discuss symptoms: 949-824-3870
- Contact a telehealth provider (LiveHealth Online for SHIP) for a virtual appointment
- Consult UCI’s Emergency services and after-hours care website
- Call 911 for any life-threatening medical emergency
Employees experiencing heat symptoms should contact their primary healthcare provider.
Here are additional resources:
David M. Souleles, MPH ‘87