Privacy and Cookie Notice
Website and Official Mobile App Privacy at a Glance
Who we are:
Campus websites under the uci.edu domain and official mobile apps.
What we collect:
- From you: Registration info; payment info; inquiries; emails; survey responses; application info
- Automatically: Device and connection log data; authentication data; analytics data; location data; cookies and tracking data
- From others: UC info; social media info; marketing and surveys; analytics data; community partners data; public sources
Why we use your data:
- Contractual obligations
- Day-to-day operations
- Respond to your inquiries
- Surveys and feedback
- Marketing and advertising
- Features and functionality of the website
- Personalize our Services
- Research, educational, and publication
- Analyze trends, administer the website, track movement
- Improve and customize our Services
- Test, enhance, update our Services
- Distinguish you from other users
- Maintain the safety, security, and integrity
- Legal and regulatory obligations
- Other lawful purpose
Sharing of data:
- Within the University of California
- Marketing Providers
- Customer Service and Communication Providers
- Other Service Providers (e.g., website hosting, payment processing)
- Survey Providers
- Academic Research and Education
- Online Advertising Partners
- Legal Obligations and Rights
- With Your Consent
- Access records
- Modify and in some cases delete
- Withdraw consent
- Not use our services
- Legal, administrative, physical, and technical
Please read the full statement below for details and more information.
UCI All Purpose Website and Mobile App Privacy Notice
— Last Updated: October 3, 2023
This Privacy Notice explains how The Regents of the University of California, Irvine campus (“UCI,” “UC Irvine,” “we,” “us” or “our”) collects, uses, discloses and otherwise processes personal information (as defined below) in connection with our websites and official apps (collectively, the “Sites”) and the related content, platform, services, products and other functionality offered on or through our Sites (collectively, the “Services”).
This Privacy Notice applies only when UCI is the controller of the personal information, which means we determine and are responsible for how your personal information is used.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to the collection, use, and disclosure of your protected health information. If you want to know about how UCI Health collects, uses and discloses your protected health information under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), please see our UCI Health Notice of Privacy Practices.
When we collect personal information that is part of a student or an applicant’s educational record (“Student Data”), we collect, use, store, and otherwise process such information in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). To the extent that our processing practices in connection with Student Data differ from this Privacy Statement, the practices described in this Privacy Statement will not apply.
I. What Is Personal Information?
“Personal information” means any data or information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular natural person or household or any other data or information that is “personal data”, “personal information” or “personally identifiable information.” It does not include protected health information under HIPAA.
II. Our Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect personal information from you when you contact us or send us messages, conduct a search on our Sites, subscribe to our mailing lists, newsletters or other forms of marketing communications, submit a job application, participate in a survey, make a purchase at our gift shop or use some other feature of our Services. We also may link or combine your activities and information collected from you on our Sites and mobile apps with information we receive from third parties and information we collect automatically through tracking technologies (defined below).
Personal Information Collected from You
We may collect the following categories of personal information from you:
- Contact Information, including first and last name, email address, your country or region and communication preferences. We use this information to fulfill your request, to communicate with you directly and to send you marketing communications in accordance with your preferences.
- Payment Information. If you make a purchase at one of our gift shops or register for one of our Events or Conferences, we may collect payment information in order to complete your transaction. We use third party payment processors to process credit card payments made to us. We do not retain any personally identifiable financial information in connection with credit card payments, such as credit card numbers. All information is provided directly by you to our third-party processor. The payment processor’s use of your personal information is governed by their privacy notice.
- Inquiry and Communications Information, including information provided in custom messages sent through the forms, in chat messages or to one of our email addresses. We use this information to investigate and respond to your inquiries and to communicate with you, to enhance the Services we offer to our users and to manage our organization.
- Newsletter and Marketing Emails, including email address and applicable interests and communication preferences. We use this information to manage our communications with you and to send publications and information about our programs. If you wish to stop receiving email messages from us, click the “unsubscribe link” provided at the bottom of the email communication. You cannot unsubscribe from certain services-related email communications (e.g., account verification, technical or legal notices).
- Survey Information, including information you provide when you respond to questions through surveys or the content of any testimonials. We use this information to administer and facilitate the Services, to respond to your submission, to communicate with you, to conduct market research, inform our activities and to improve our Services.
- Events and Conferences Registration Information, including account login information and event registration information. We use this information to host events and conferences.
- Feedback Information. We may collect feedback you provide relating to our Services. We use this information to communicate with you, to conduct market research, to inform our marketing and activities and to improve our business.
- Employment Application Information, including your contact and demographic information, educational and work history, employment interests and any other information you choose to provide through our Services, if you apply for employment. We use this information to conduct Human Resources activities and for federal compliance reporting.
Personal Information Automatically Collected
We and our third-party partners may automatically collect certain information from, or in connection with, your device when you visit or interact with our Services, including:
- Log Data, including internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, device type and version, browser type and version, browser id, the URL entered and the referring page/campaign, date/time of visit, other user agent string data, the time spent on our Services, and any errors that may occur during the visit to our Services.
- Analytics data, including the electronic path you take to our Services, through our Services and when exiting our Services; and your usage and activity on our Services, such as the time zone, activity information (first and last active date and time), usage history (flows created, campaigns scheduled, emails opened, total log-ins) and the pages, links, objects or Services you view, click or interact with.
- Location data, such as general location information we derive from your IP address.
We and our third-party providers may use: (i) cookies or small data files that are stored on an individual’s computer and (ii) other related technologies such as web beacons, pixels, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies and logging technologies (collectively, “cookies”) to automatically collect personal information. We also may use this information to distinguish you from other users of our Services. This helps us monitor and analyze how you use and interact with our Services and helps us and our partners to determine products and services that may be of interest to you.
For more information about these practices and your choices regarding cookies, please see the Cookie Notice.
Personal Information from Third Parties
We also obtain personal information from third parties, which we often combine with personal information we collect from you. We may receive the same categories of personal information as described above from the following third parties:
- Social Media: When you interact with our Services through various social media networks, such as when you “Like” us on social networks, we may receive some information about you that you permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive depends on your privacy settings with the social network and may include certain profile information. We use this information to operate, maintain and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service and to communicate directly with you.
- Service Providers: Service providers that perform Services solely on our behalf, such as survey and marketing providers and payment processors, collect personal information and often share some or all of this information with us. The information may include contact information, demographic information, transaction information and information about your communications and related activities. We may use this information to administer and facilitate our Services and our marketing activities.
- Community Partners: We may receive your personal information, such as name and email address, from our community partners through whom we may offer events, programs or services that contribute to improving the lives and livelihoods of our communities.
- Other Sources: We may also collect personal information about individuals that we do not otherwise have from other sources, including publicly available sources, third-party data providers or through other transactions. We use this information to operate, maintain and provide to you the features and functionality of the Services and to communicate directly with you.
Through providing our Services, we may also process anonymous and otherwise deidentified information that cannot reasonably be used to infer information about, or otherwise be linked to, a particular individual or household. UCI commits to maintain and use such information in deidentified form and will not attempt to reidentify the information, except in instances where necessary for determining whether the deidentification process used by UCI satisfies the requirements under applicable law.
Additional Uses of Personal Information
We may use personal information we collect to:
- Fulfill or meet the reason the information was provided, such as to fulfill our contractual obligations, to deliver the Services you have requested and to process transactions;
- Manage our organization and its day-to-day operations;
- Register you for and provide you access to events and conferences;
- Communicate with you;
- Request that you complete surveys about our organization and our Services;
- For marketing communications and advertising purposes, including but not limited to, marketing to you or offering you through digital display, search, email or direct mail, information and updates on products or services we think that you may be interested in (where applicable, we may send you marketing messages if you have given us your consent to do so); to conduct market research, and to inform our marketing and advertising activities;
- Administer, improve and personalize our Services, including by remembering your information when you return to our Services;
- Identify and analyze how you use our Services, and to improve and customize our Services to address your needs and interests;
- Test, enhance, update and monitor the Services, or diagnose or fix technology problems;
- Help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our property and Services and technology assets;
- To resolve disputes, to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights, and to protect our interests and the interests and rights of third parties;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide personal information, any other lawful purpose, or other purpose that you consent to.
III. Our Sharing and Disclosure of Personal Information
We may also share, transmit, disclose, grant access to, make available and provide your personal information with and to third parties, as follows:
- Within UCI: We may share personal information within UCI functional areas.
- Customer Service and Communication Providers: We share personal information with third parties who assist us in providing our Services and facilitating our communications with you.
- Other Service Providers: We also engage other third-party service providers that perform operational services for us or on our behalf, such as website hosting, infrastructure provisioning, IT services, analytics services, employment application-related services, payment processing services and administrative services.
- Survey Providers: We share personal information with third parties who assist us in delivering our surveys and processing the responses.
- Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose personal information to third parties, such as legal advisors and law enforcement:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims;
- to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of others, including to enforce our agreements and policies;
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud;
- to protect the health and safety of us and others; or
- as otherwise required by applicable law.
- With Your Consent: We may disclose personal information to certain other third parties or publicly with your consent.
IV. Control Over Your Information
You may control your information in the following ways:
- Email Communications Preferences. You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the link identified as “manage” or “unsubscribe” or a similar term provided in such communications. You may not opt-out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Services, technical and security notices).
- Modifying or Deleting Your Information. If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying or deleting your information, you can contact us directly at email@example.com. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
V. Children’s Personal Information
Our Services are not directed to, and we do not intend to, knowingly or unknowingly, collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you should not use our Services or otherwise provide us with any personal information either directly or by other means. If a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, we encourage the child’s parent or guardian to contact us to request that we remove the personal information from our systems. If we learn that any personal information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete it.
VI. Links to Third-Party Websites or Services
Our Services may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Except where we post, link to or expressly adopt or refer to this Privacy Notice, this Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, any personal information practices of third-party websites and online services or the practices of other third parties. To learn about the personal information practices of third parties, please visit their respective privacy notices.
VII. Updates to This Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will change the date at the beginning of this Privacy Notice. If we make material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will make efforts to notify users by prominent posting on our Services or through other appropriate communication channels. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided.
VIII. Contact Us
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Privacy Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Last Updated: October 3, 2023
Unless otherwise expressly stated, terms in this Cookie Notice have the same meaning as in the Privacy Notice.
1. Scope of Notice
2. What Are Cookies and Related Technologies?
3. What We Collect When Using Cookies
We may include or engage in the following as part of our Services:
- Social Media Widgets. Our Services may include social media features or other widgets. These social media companies may recognize you and collect information about your visit to our Services, and they may set a cookie or employ other tracking technologies. Your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of those third-party companies.
- Social Media Platforms. We may display targeted advertising to you through social media platforms and other social media forums. These companies have interest-based advertising programs that allow us to direct advertisements to users who have shown interest in our Services while those users are on the social media platform, or to groups of other users who share similar traits, such as likely commercial interests and demographics. We may share a unique identifier, such as a user ID, with these platform providers or they may collect information from our website visitors through a pixel, in order to direct targeted advertising to you or to a custom audience on the social media platform. These advertisements are governed by the privacy policies of the third-party social media companies that provide them. If you do not want to receive targeted ads on your social networks, you may be able to adjust your advertising preferences through your settings on those networks.
- Third Party Partners. We work with a variety of third-party partners to provide analytics and advertising services. For example, we may use Google Analytics or similar products on some Services to recognize you and link the devices you use when you visit our Services on your browser or mobile device.
We may also utilize certain forms of display advertising and other advanced features that enable us to use first-party cookies (for analytics purposes) and third-party cookies (for advertising purposes) or other third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and display ads based on your past visits to the Services.
4. How We Use Information Collected via Cookies
- The Services may offer payment capabilities and some cookies are essential to ensure that your order is remembered between pages so that we can process it properly.
- When you submit data through a form, such as those found on the contact pages, cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
- In order to provide you with a great experience on the Services, we may provide the functionality to set your preferences for how the Services run when you use it. In order to remember your preferences, we may set cookies so that this information can be called whenever you interact with a website page.
- We may also use the information we collect through cookies to understand your browsing activities, including across unaffiliated third-party sites, so that we can deliver information about products and services that may be of interest to you.
- Tracking technology used in emails helps us measure the effectiveness of our marketing email campaigns, make the emails we send to you more relevant to your interests and understand whether you have opened and how you interacted with our email.
Please note that we link some of the personal information we collect through cookies with the other personal information that we collect about you and for the purposes described in our Privacy Notice.
5. Your Choices About Cookies
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to change the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser to: (i) notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies. Be aware that disabling cookies may negatively affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionalities and features of the Services.
Depending on your device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all cookies. In addition, if you want to reject cookies across all your browsers and devices, you will need to do so on each browser on each device you actively use. You also may set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.